- What Linux and Solaris can learn from each other(slides) -- check the informative LWN comments as well.
- The USE Method: Linux Performance Checklist by Brendan Gregg, March 2012
Call Chain Profiling
- Gprof2Dot call chain format converter / visualizer.
- Profiling from NMI context, -fno-omit-frame-pointer and .eh_frame: perf call chain profiling won't work out of the box on x86-64 until this is fixed. (Potential solution: perf: Add backtrace post dwarf unwind)
CPU Time Stamps
- How to Benchmark Code Execution Times on Intel® IA-32 and IA-64 Instruction Set Architectures (implemented in tsc-measure)