Compiler Writer's Guides
"This book describes, mainly by coding examples, the code patterns that perform well on PowerPC™ processors. The book will be particularly helpful to compiler developers and application-code specialists who are already familiar with optimizing compiler technology and are looking for ways to exploit the PowerPC architecture. It will also be helpful to application programmers who need to understand and tune the output of PowerPC compilers and to faculty members and graduate students specializing in the study of compilers. We assume that compiler developers have already developed a compiler front-end and are seeking to develop a PowerPC back-end."
- Compiler Writer's Guide for the Alpha 21264
- TriCore Compiler Writer's Guide -- Infineon
- Performance tips for Alpha Linux C programmers
- IA-32 Assembly for Compiler Writers
- x86-64 Machine-Level Programming
- The Q&D First Time Compiler Writer's Guide to the SPARC V.8
Moxie (formerly ggx)
- ggx: How To Retarget the GNU Toolchain in 21 Patches "... the source patches apply to 2008-era GCC and SRC trees for the GNU Toolchain. They may not be useful from a development perspective today, but as a teaching tool they still have value."
- The Moxie project: "..an evolving instruction set architecture that's being co-designed along with development tools." (The Moxie Blog)
- Open Source Compiler Construction for the JVM: scala parser_combinators, Apache bcel
- Use lstopo from hwloc
- libFirm "a C-library that provides a graph-based intermediate representation, optimizations, and assembly code generation suitable for use in compilers."