Programming the AVR32 Using the Atmel EVK1100 Board
Non-OS Example Programs By ITRS Members
- (Write access) "hg clone ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org//hg/avr32-programs"
- "avr32-programs" unfortunately depends on specific versions of Atmel's "AVR32 UC3 Software Framework" due to the way the Makefiles are written. In particular, avr32-programs relies on the linker scripts in AVR32 UC3 Software Framework. Check the "config.mk" files for the version dependency.
- The "PRJ_PATH" variable in config.mk must point to the expected version of the "AVR32 UC3 Software Framework".
Atmel started requiring registration for AVR32 toolchain and software framework downloads since at least Jan. 2012. Dear Atmel, this does NOT make your customers happy!
- AVR32 GNU Toolchain
- AVR32 Software Framework. A collection of non-OS linker scripts and drivers for the hardware. Updates to the software framework may require updates to the compiler toolchain. Check the release notes.
- dfu-programmer: open source utility for loading your programs to the board through USB.
yum -y install dfu-programmer
Suggested Installation Path
- To get the expected directory layout, run:
mkdir ~/evk1100 cd ~/evk1100 unzip AVR-UC3-SoftwareFramework-1.6.1.zip hg clone http://itrs.tw/hg/avr32-programs # Alternatively, if you have write access to itrs.tw # hg clone ssh://email@example.com//hg/avr32-programs
Using the USB DFU In-System-Programmer (ISP)
- Connect USB cable to evk1100 board.
- While holding down the joystick, press and release the RESET button. The device will boot into the DFU bootloader.
- Use the Makefile's in each sample program directory to build an ELF image, program it through the "dfu-programmer" utility and run it:
cd avr32-programs/blink make isp program run
AVR UC3 Software Framework Critique
- AVR-UC3-SoftwareFramework has problems: it's distributed as a collection of .h and .c files instead of a real library and has an "interesting" (certainly complicated) build system. Its doxygen API documentation and release notes mixes forward and backward slashes in files names.
- AVR-UC3-SoftwareFramework tries to do for the AVR32 microcontroller series what avr-libc does for the 8-bit AVR but with more board specific peripherals support. Trying to use the former makes you appreciate the later all the more.
- AVR32 UC3 Software Framework
- avrfreaks.net/wiki: EVK1100/Embedded Development Quick Start: The instructions assume you have an Atmel JTAG device. While those are useful for hardware assisted debugging, we can upload custom programs into AVR32 UC3A's flash memory with a plain USB cable through either dfu-programmer or Atmel's flip software using the DFU bootloader that's already programmed in the chip.
- AVR Tools Beta Site